BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Last Night....

was so awful. We all went to bed around 10 which was already later than I wanted, but the kids took an extra long nap, so I figured I was lucky it wasn't later. I wasn't very tired, but neither of them wanted to go to sleep without mommy, so we all curled up in my bed and went to sleep. Alexis woke up for the first time around 1am. Her nose was stuffy, she was having trouble breathing, and she just couldn't get comfortable. She asked for some milk and went back to a very restless sleep. I think my ribs are bruised from all of the kicking. When she woke me up at 3am, she felt like she was burning up. I took her temperature and sure enough, 103.7. A little high, but not really anything to worry about quite yet. I gave her some motrin (as we haven't had a lot of luck with tylenol and high fevers) and tried to get her back to sleep. Not more than 5 minutes later, she started gagging and told me she was going to throw up. We hurried to the restroom which is mercilessly close to the bed and she proceeded to vomit for a few minutes. She was such a big girl about it. Nothing like the girl last year who cried when she threw up all over herself. When it was over, she said she felt better and wanted to watch tv, so I gave her some gatorade, put a cold, wet rag on her forehead, and laid her down on the couch. At this point, Justin was awake and was thinking about getting out of bed. I turned off the light and told him to go back to sleep and surprisingly enough, he did. Alexis said she was hungry and managed to keep down some string cheese (her choice not mine) and we watched Sprout until about 6am. It took almost that long for her fever to go down, then I put some vicks on her chest and carried her back to bed. When Justin woke up at 7am i thought I might die. Not really, but i felt so extremely tired and still do. I think we are still a couple of hours from a nap and after 4 shots of espresso, I don't feel too terriblly bad. In fact, I think I'll start cleaning soon. Alexis seems to be feeling better. She is a little grumpy and more whiney than usual, but she is playing with Justin and her fever seems to be gone. I thought it was a cold, but now I'm thinking this is a side effect of her flu vaccine. I would have expected her to get ill sooner if that was the case, but then again, it was the nasal spray so maybe it affects kids different than the actual shot? I knew I should have insisted on the shot. The virus in the shot is inactive, while the one in the nasal spray is active. The doctor insisted that though it was active the chances of it making her sick were minimal as it is a virus that is manipulated that needs cooler temperatures than those in the body to survive. Alexis's puppy dog eyes and cute little voice saying, "I don't want a shot" along with the doctor's assurances were more than I could handle, but next year...it's the needle! Anyway, I hate when the kids don't feel good, but it looks like she is on the upswing. She even managed to eat some toast and drink two glasses of chocolate milk, so I'll take it as a good sign. Hopefully, Justin stays healthy. I'd hate for them to both be sick together, especially since tomorrow is Anthony's only day off for the week and it would stink if he had to listen to them fight on our one day to enjoy the whole day as a family.

1 comments:

Heather said...

Oh my Lord, Ginger, I just found your blog and read about Alexis! I'm so sorry, I hope she's better. I don't know if it's the vaccine, probably not, but either way I hope she's on the mend.