BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

My Biggest Regret

I don't often have regrets because I truly believe that every choice (both good and bad) that I've ever made has just brought me to this place where I am now. When I had children, there were a list of things I said I would never do and choices that I made as to how I would raise them. One of my big things that I refused to do was CIO (that's cry it out for those of you who don't know). I have always laid down with or held both of my babies for naps and nighttime. Not a big deal and I still don't mind doing it. My problem? Lately neither of them want to go to sleep whether I'm next to them or not. They are the most horrible sleepers....well...not sleepers, they sleep fine once they actually go to sleep...it's just a nightmare getting them to that point. Tonight it took me almost an hour to get Justin to go to bed and it was after midnight when Alexis finally gave it up. I am so tired and so frustrated and I wish, while they were smaller, I had made them CIO so that they would be better sleepers now. I guess it does me absolutely no good to sit and dwell on this because it's not like I can make them CIO now, can I? They are both in real beds and no longer in cribs so I'm pretty sure it would be impossible to keep them in and if I did, would it be psychologically damaging to them? There must be a better way. Any advice would be so greatly appreciated.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Well, I know Deborah (our old host) did CIO with her daughter when she was three, so it's possible. I guess you just keep taking them back to their beds nad telling them they have to stay there, no muss no fuss until one night they actually do it! I've also heard that being awake is not a problem, it's being out of bed that's the problem. So if they're laying quietly talking to themselves that's OK, but they have to stay in their beds.

I've seen this on Nanny 911. I've not actually done it myself ;)

msb said...

I didn't do CIO with Aedan until after his first birthday...two nights and he slept through the night like a champ. I kicked myself for not doing it sooner, so I know how you feel. Just think though, your kids feel loved and secure, and that isn't the worst thing in the world! I agree with Heather, try the nanny 911 approach, it seems to work for them! Good luck!

Christia said...

When we moved from WA to IA, Julian had a heck of a time transitioning. We literally did what Heather suggested, lay him in his bed, told him he couldn't get out, and when he did just took him back in. It took 3ish nights and then he usually just goes to bed by himself. We lay him down, tuck him in, kiss him, etc, and then he just falls asleep on his own. It can totally happen!