BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, January 18, 2009

My $33 Makeover

Life is good. I have seriously let myself go in the past 5 years, but I am well on my way to getting back to where I want to be. After 2 kids and 50 pounds, I'm not extremely happy with my physical appearance. I've been working out again for the past 4 weeks and I'm finally starting to feel results. My clothes aren't quite so tight, I have more energy, and the mass that blocks the view to my feet (better known as my belly) seems to be shrinking. I feel really good about my progress and look forward to seeing what happens if I can stick to my strict regimen of working out 6-7 days a week.

In addition to my body, I also have neglected my hair, skin, and eyebrows. At one point in time I used to go to the salon every 6 weeks for a trim, color, and waxing. Due to money issues, that just hasn't been feasible lately and I'm probably getting my hair cut every 6 - 12 months and waxing has become a thing of the past, which has left me looking like a complete and total mess. Of course, usually I just get up and put my hair up in a clip or a pony tail, so no big deal...right? Something about birthdays always makes me wanna be a little better and look a little more like the old me, so I decided to do something about it. Like I mentioned before, money is tight, so I had to get a little creative.

I usually use Bare Minerals makeup because it is the best makeup ever, but it's expensive, so it just wasn't an option right now. I purchased Cover Girl True blend foundation and mineral makeup at Longs for only $11 and was so surprised at how light it felt, how good it covered, and how well it matched my skin. At 50% off, it was a great deal. I then used the InStyle Hollywood Makeover site to pick out the hairstyle I wanted and printed the picture. This was the part I was most concerned about because usually I go to my friend Angie's salon, and using a discount stylist was terrifying, but desperate times call for desperate measures so armed with my picture I headed to the HairWorks Family Salon inside our local Super Walmart. (Ang, if your reading this...I'm soooo sorry, but we are super broke and I just can't afford the prices at your current salon. I love you so much and as soon as finances get back to normal...I'll be back!) I got a cut for $13 and surprisingly enough, I'm very satisfied with it. The girl did a great job though the customer service left something to be desired, but ce lest vie. My final purchase was Loreal Preference hair color in light auburn. I picked up 2 boxes for $9 at Walmart and had my mom apply it. I got out the tweezers and the trimmer and went to work on my eyebrows and after an hour of painful plucking, I am proud to announce I now have two eyebrows again instead of one. Less than 4 hours later and a mere $33, voila! I am ALMOST beautiful again. Well....okay, I may still be far from beautiful, but I feel human again and am definitely a little more happy about how I look. I'll post some before and after pics tomorrow when I can get someone to take some. Until then...

2 comments:

Heather said...

Oh, I want to see pictures! I love bare minerals, too. There are so many mineral makeups now, I'm sure they're all good!

Shannon said...

sounds like a great makeover! it really is the little things that we do that make us feel human and not just a mom... i agree with heather, i want to see pictures!